Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Prospects Sheet Updated; World Juniors

The NHL Network has really come in handy lately. I have been able to watch just about every USA or Canada in the U20 World Juniors.

The Wild have a few players in the tournament with Marco Scandella playing for Canada, as well as Jere Sallinen and Eero Elo for Finland. Since I have not been able to catch Finland play, I can't comment on his play. As far as Marco Scandella is concerned, this is a great experience for him. He hasn't played near the level that Pietrangelo, Ellis or Hamonic have but he has been making safe plays, playing physical and unloading a cannon on the powerplay (only late in the game considering Canada has smoked everyone thus far). Scandella gives guys problems with his poke-check and size but he does have problems when the puck is in close to his feet. He does appear nervous when he doesn't have time and space, but I think that is because he is growing into his body and maturing mentally. Remember, it was Cuma that was expected to be a shoe-in for team Canada the past two years. But, last years injury has taken a toll on young Cuma and it appears Cuma has to overcome a confidence issue.

With the above said, I will say that probable 1st overall pick Taylor Hall has been unbelievable. He had a hat trick tonight and was also dishing the puck beautifully. I am really glad the Wild have turned their season around but after watching Hall, my subconscious tells me having a chance at Hall would be a wet dream. The guy is big, has tons of speed, hustles and has great hands. He will be in the NHL next year and will be as effective as Tavares/Stamkos.

I can't wait until New Years Eve! The U.S. team will play Canada so now I/we can get to see a more competetive game. See you in a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment