Sunday, November 1, 2009

Good Weekend for Wild, Gophers and Vikes; Prospects Sheet Update

Wow, this is an odd feeling. I am not frustrated while writing the blog! The Wild beat Gaborik-less Rangers and a Malkin-less Penguins. But, I thought the team, as a whole, looked great for the full 60 minutes in each game. Sure, they were outshot by the Penguins but we didn't give them a hand full of odd-man rushes. I felt that Koivu was dominant in both games, winning faceoffs, strong along the wall and being good on the forecheck/backcheck. Backstrom was the obvious star of the weekend but Zanon has to be mentioned as well. He made several nice defensive plays and was very consistent defensively...something our defensemen have not been this season thus far.

And about Backstrom, what a goalie. I was one of those who was curious to see how he would do in a new system...not because I didn't think he was mentally tough or not positionally sound, but because I questioned his athleticism. Man, he is so positionally sound and mentally strong, he doesn't have to make the acrobatic saves...so, I EAT CROW.

Boogaard played a lot more and I didn't feel he did all that bad. It makes you question just where Pouliot is with this organization since he was a healthy scratch the past two games for Boogaard. Personally, I thought he had been playing much better, competing and trying to make plays instead of trying to toe-drag everyone in the neutral zone.

Scott and Belanger have really impressed me. Belanger has been competing every game, has shown his speed and has also finishing plays. It is his contract year so lets see if he can keep it up. Scott, has been mobile and tough along the wall, making simple plays. To be honest, I think our defense has appeared to be settled down without Johnsson in the lineup. That isn't to say I don't think Johnsson is a great skater, a smart passer...but I think Johnsson and Burns have been trying to do too much this year and the harder they try, the worse it becomes.


Wild get some rest.

Gophers sweep Alaska Anchorage. Nick Leddy sustained a broken jaw on Friday and will be out about 6 weeks. Lucia and Kangas were the MVPs, imo.

Vikes beat Cheeseheads!!!






Prospects:
  • Leddy out 6 weeks with a broken jaw.
  • Cody Almond out with broken wrist for around 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment